Monday, September 12, 2011

The Beginning of the End

Welcome, reader, to 'Thinking Out Loud' - the potentially offensive ramblings of a madman. My name is Javid van der Piepers and I'll be your host, so to speak. I essentially started this blog because I enjoy writing and I'm an opinionated little git, so putting the two together makes sense. I already contribute to Australian Music Blog whiteboydancefloor but I'm looking to broaden my horizons. The hardest part, I'm learning, about starting your own blog is figuring out where the hell to begin. This will be personal, this will be musical, this will be hilarious (and potentially offensive), this will be political. Basically it's limitless until I work out how to define the damn thing but here we go with.... entry number one.

"this in-flight meal is horrible.. is that a McDonalds in there?.. uh oh"

I don't need to tell anyone about the fact that yesterday was the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks in New York, Washington and that field in Pennsylvania (take THAT cows). But a few questions need to be asked.

1. Does the whole western world really need to stop and remember the day? Apart from the US of course
2. Is it yet appropriate to make light of the situation?

And I suppose, if you were asking me, these are the answers I'd give you

1. No. Whats that you say? 9/11 was an affront to the entire Western World, everything we capitalists stand for? If they hit one of us they hit us all? Bullshit. Does the world stop to remember the subsequent attacks in London, Madrid and many, many other places? No. The primary result that the perpetual remembrance of 9/11 brings about is a hatred of Muslims and Islam. Yes some Saudis and fellow members of the Arab world may have attacked the United States in their own territory (or maybe they didn't in the first place) but what about the 99.9999999999999999% of those that didn't? The subsequent wars on Afghanistan and Iraq were attacks, not only on the 0.000000001% that were involved or associated with the act but all of those who were not. The only difference is, after September 11, the US has not seen anything even remotely on the scale of the WTC attacks. Yet since 2001, US and allied forces have occupied Afghanistan, and still do.
The mission of fighting terror is a never ending cycle. By staying and occupying other nations the US is breeding the negative sentiment that causes the attacks in the first place. "What about our freedom?" you quip - what about theirs?! You live in a capitalist society, and live comfortably (if you're reading this, I dont expect the socio-economically disadvantaged to relate), with minimal fear of someone suddenly taking over and telling you what to do (outside of your own government anyway), and theres a slim chance of that happening in the next few years anyway. These people, already living under autocratic dictatorships, have to suddenly deal with foreign forces coming in and readjusting their social structures, trying to 'modernise' people who are probably quite happy to NOT be. Most people in this world end up realising and accepting the conditions of their own existence. There is culture and history to be considered, and many of these societies hold these two things far more dearly than our western cultures do.
You might also say "but you live in Australia - another country involved in this 'war on terror'" - but I'm happy to offer my opinion there too. As a student of politics I've come to learn the historical significance of the US-Australian alliance. They're the big boy, the world power, and we're the Western nation sitting on the doorstep of Asia, and the most populous Muslim nation in the world - Indonesia (home to nearly 13% of ALL Muslims). I don't have a problem with this personally, I'm not going to disrespect people for having faith and if anything I see Islam as far less corrupt than Catholicism. The primary reason we fight alongside the US though, despite the populist rhetoric, ultimately comes down to the fact that if we are ever suddenly invaded or attacked, we're going to need help. Preserving a convenient friendship does not suddenly mean we have to be invested in their own national misery every year.

2. Its been 10 years, so why the hell not? I don't know anyone who knows anyone who suffered personally so I have no misery to feel. That might sound like a shallow thing to say but what do you want me to do, wallow for a bunch of people I never met, who died in an incident on the other side of the world, apparently caused by another bunch of people from another part of the world? I can offer empathy but really, what is that going to change? Any way you look at it the date is but a mere celebration of the true start of the schism-related violence.
Humour has come a long way, and much humour has become very offensive. Go type in 'Frankie Boyle' on YouTube and enjoy. Or who can forget the classic Family Guy deleted joke 'Must have been a female pilot'. The day is so revered and respected, and for what? Why must we not make light, or get over the whole American situation when hundreds of people are LITERALLY dying every day in the Horn of Africa from starvation and illness? Or Palestinians are being abused and mistreated by Israel? Or Iran subjects Baha'is to religious persecution? Or we Australians treat our own natives and foreigners with contempt and racism? Hell I can guarantee you most Australians don't even remember the date of the Port Arthur attacks.

Essentially what I guess I'm trying to say is, while the 9/11 attacks were easily the most significant event of our lifetime (for now), why do I still have to be sad about it 10 years on? Why do you? If someone makes a joke you shouldn't have to feel guilty for laughing. Because it's just that, a joke. You don't have to like it, but don't go trying to make me feel bad about it either. If you want to see it as a day of mourning, the day the west lost its innocence or however the hell you want to construe it, that's fine. But get some PERSPECTIVE. The USA is no longer the most important nation in the world, and either way they've got it pretty damn good compared to some parts of the world. Whats that? A recession? Tough economic times? Loss of freedom? Awww. Try telling that to an Ethiopian whose family has died and for whom the next meal isn't a matter of 'when', but a matter of 'if'. I should have quantified a long time ago that I am NOT anti-American, although I'm sure people reading this don't believe me now either way.

In New York they just have iPads...

We should stop hating the Arab world and, as we all should know, start worrying about the inevitable future Soviet/Chinese alliance. THEN we're fucked.

No comments:

Post a Comment